I felt creative today and finally finished a dress I started working on last week. It’s a simple A-line dress in an awesome polka dot fabric. I saw this cotton fabric in a store and just had to get it. I didn’t know for what, but that didn’t matter much. If it’s polka dots I have a hard time saying no.
So I had about 2 yards of this fabric sitting at home and I was just waiting for the right project to come along. Well, here it is!
A few weeks ago, I decided to trace a dress of mine that I like and that fits well to basically make my own pattern. So I traced the dress (folded in half) to make a pattern that would require the fabric to be folded and then cut. I used that pattern to make this dress, yielding me two pieces (the front and back). Unlike the dress I used to make the pattern, this dress has a 5 inch zipper on the right side (waist to armpit) and bias tape below the bust. The tape is also polka dot but in reverse colors (blue dots on brown as opposed to brown on blue) and adds a little “distraction” to the silhouette. I was thinking of putting a bow on it as well but decided against it. I don’t want the dress to be too cutsie if you know what I mean.
Well, what can I say, I am in love with this dress and I cannot wait to wear it to the office. It’s summer-y, it feels great, it’s appropriate in length and cleavage and overall it cost me around $10. I used a yard of the fabric so there is plenty of left-over to make a clutch or some other accessory. 🙂