We are visiting friends in New York City for New Years and I wanted to make something personal as a gift. Since I have not done a mug rug yet, I thought now is the time. So I made my first attempt last night and this was the result.
Remind you of something? Yep, it screamed fallout shelter or biohazard. Pick your poison. I didn’t know how to fix it and I didn’t want to rip the seams, so I did what every modern seamstress is doing: I took it to social media. Basically, I just wanted to know if I am too critical with the pattern or if others see what I see.
Well, opinion was split, so today, I decided to give my fallout shelter some siblings in the hopes that it wouldn’t stand out as much. Guess what? Mission accomplished!
The pattern is a 3inch teal strip sewn together with a 2.5inch colored strip. I then cut the fabric at 60 degree angles. For the rug, I alternated the triangles until I had a hexagon shape. I then pinned 2 triangles, sewed down one side, pressed the seam open, and added a third triangle. I did the same for the other 3 triangles of the color scheme so that eventually I had 2 hexagon halves that I sewed together. Now of course, pinning is key to get everything lined up right. Take your time with this step to get a good result. No time to rush this!
For the backing I used felt. I cut a long strip and just placed the hexagons on it and sewed with a 1/4inch seam allowance.
I have to say, looking at the hexagons on the strip, I was very tempted to not cut them out at all. I kind of liked the look of the composition (albeit it wasn’t aligned at all since that wasn’t what I was going for).
The nice thing about felt is that it does not fray so I basically just took my rotary cutter and cut the hexagons out of the felt. Easy! This is a simple work-around for anyone who does not feel comfortable (yet) with using bias tape. Sew it on felt and your good to go.
Well, mug rugs done, I guess. Easy present and a great way to make a dent in your fabric stash.